Sunday, April 30, 2006

FF7 Advent Children

Ever since I first played Final Fantasy 7 during my freshman year of college I've been a fan of all the Final Fantasy games (well at least all the SNES ones, and FF7 too of course). So it was with bated breath that I awaited Advent Children's release into the US. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

The story for the FF7 video game, while confusing at times, was great. It had romance, tragedy, cloning, Red 13, shiny video sequences, cross-dressing, Red 13, and epic battles. If they had made the game's story into a movie I think fans everywhere would have been happy. Instead we're given a sequel to the game's plot and not only is the English translation painful, there really isn't much plot.

The movie is pretty, and has cool battles (and Vincent is awesome), but that's really not enough. I'm still confused as to what they were trying to do with the plot. I assume they just threw a bunch of stuff together to have Sephiroth come back for 3 minutes.



I have yet to figure out why creators take good stories, toss them out the window, and replace them with crap. It makes me sad.

So far, comic book movies = the win, video game movies = pretty bad.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know this stuff, so I'll take your word for it.

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your take on Advent Children. I too have great memories of playing FF VII. Almost 10 years later, it still has one of the best storylines for a RPG. I'm still trying to find an easter egg where I can save Aeris from dying, lol!

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Saving Aeris from dying is like trying to get to Princess Zelda in time to stop her kidnapping. No matter how fast you run in you Pegasus boots you're always there just in time for bad things to happen :(

I always save before she dies so I can go back and pretend it didn't happen :)

Monday, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home