Saturday, June 10, 2006

Writer's Block

I hate writer's block - and it's not so much that I don't have anything to say as I'm not sure how to get it across. *sigh* So today's post will be about lots of random things!

First off - last week's comics...
I had a really good time with my recent infusion of stuff to read. I convinced my Dad to find Ballad of Sleeping Beauty for me and it was a great read. You could definately tell that it was one of the author's first attempts at writing a comic book but it had some great ideas and I'm always fond of stories that make use of fairy tales and mythology. The art was perfect for the mood of the story and I loved the coloring. It was sparse and well formed. It's great when the art and story work so well together. Also, turning Sleeping Beauty into a western was a great idea :)

I finally got to read S&B 26 and maybe I was being overly sensitive but I cried at the end knowing it was for Sam Loeb. It really made me miss someone I never actually knew. It was very sweet that so many people came together to do that book as a tribute to him.

Then there was Nextwave the coloring book. SO awesome. I mean, yeah, it was a fun book anyway, but the idea of coloring a comic book is exciting for some reason. And yes, I totally plan on coloring it.

I really enjoyed Local #5 and I think it was the best issue so far. It was a very inventive story and we got to know the main character a bit better. That and I can empathize with the nametag thing, we used to switch them all the time at work.

onto other stuff:
I'm really excited at the idea of working on my comic, Legacy, again. I have our original artist and inker on the team and I may experiment with doing the coloring myself if Corey consents to helping me out a bit. After looking around online for a bit I discovered that Dark Horse is accepting submissions until December 31st '06 and Image and Asp seem to accept them on an ongoing basis. Hopefully it'll come together this time!

I'm still working on an illustrated story (illustrated by Legacy's inker actually) that will be published regardless of whether or not we find an outside publisher. We finally get to start pulling the layout together in 2 weeks and I figure it should be ready for publishing by early 2007. There's a website that does cheap publishing so if nothing else I'll be able to bully people I know into buying my book :)

Project Nightwing is on the shelf for now because as much as I'd love to work on it I won't have time now that we're restarting Legacy. So it'll be on the backburner for awhile although I already have a basic plot sketched out.

Tomorrow is D&D and Sunday is Aberrant so it should be an entertaining weekend.

I found this comic book while looking on ebay and for some reason found it to be intriguing. Cross-company storys always amuse me.

Oh! On a side note I've been spending some quality time over at Neil Gaiman's home page and I was surprised (and happy) to see that they're making a Stardust movie!

Anyway, time to sleep...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the entertaining post. I thought the Ballad of Sleeping Beauty was an enjoyable read also. I agree that Local was the best so far and like it when they focus on Megan. Another panelist on Rusty's show pointed out that Megan is probably still suffering from the after effects of issue #4, where she witnessed the fight of the two brothers.

Saturday, June 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cross-company stories amuse you? Then I've got just the thing for Cshiana. I'll be sending you the Crossover Classics trade on monday. It's got all the classic DC/Marvel crossovers, including the X-men/Teen Titans story in your picture. That's the best one, but the others are fun too. Check out what a badass Deathstroke used to be before Winick decided to wimp him up. I'm also including a special surprise from PhillyCon for ya. This one will be coming straight from me so I won't have to deal with the headaches of Amazon. Still working out the snafu from Top 10 book 2.

Saturday, June 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS--Good luck with your Dark Horse submission!!!

Saturday, June 10, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Thanks Jeff!

I'd totally say more but I only got 3 hours of sleep so I'm not all that coherant :)

Saturday, June 10, 2006  
Blogger Arielle said...

Hey, glad you're able to restart Legacy. =) Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home