Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bigby Wolf

This is a post about why Bigby is one of the best characters in comics EVER. That's right, EVER. Sure, he's surly, he's mean, he probably only bathes once a month, but he's still amazing.

First of all he's a detective, that in itself can be pretty cool. My new found love for Jason Bard partially stems from the detective angle. I admit that growing up with a Dad who has bought me every Detective issue since I was, what, seven? may have something to do with the fact that I'm a sucker for the private eye. Bigby's also a more loveable (perhaps more redeemable) Sam Spade - and c'mon, how many people didn't love Sam Spade the first time they watched the Maltese Falcon? He's also a spy master. I love how he has this network of Fables working undercover. Really, who would think Cinderella was a spy? That's right, no one. Only Bigby could find such a perfect agent.

Second, Bigby's a wolf. Not just any wolf, but a great big one that huffs and puffs. Personally, I never rooted for any of the little pigs... I always wanted the Big Bad Wolf to win. I mean, sure, eating Grandma was a bit extreme, but only a bit. It was totally Red's fault for trusting a wolf in the first place. Hmm, maybe this is why I was never the popular kid in school *cough*

Then there's the fact that despite Bigby's sorid past, he becomes the hero of Fabletown. I know that I was excited to see him come into Fabletown as a giant wolf and huff and puff. Bigby turned the tide of that battle - it was a memorable comic book moment.

The best thing about Bigby is how he is around Snow. His love for her is so obvious... of course the fact that he was shacking up with some other girl recently bothers me, but I have a feeling that we don't know the entirety of that story yet. Either way Bigby and Snow have one of the few true romances left in comic books right now, so Bigby has to be pretty darn awesome.

Oh yeah, and Bigby's cute too - in a gruff kind of way :)

I think Bigby is one of my favorite characters around... especially since Nightwing has been stolen away from me. I was VERY happy to see his return in the latest issue of Fables. I've enjoyed the divergent stories, but I really kept reading because I wanted to see Bigby again. Hopefully Willingham will give us plenty of Bigby and Snow!

It's also nice to see how the characters are actually allowed to change and grow, despite the fact that Fables are immortal.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. Bigby is one of the more fully developed characters in comics and a fun re-interpretation of a childhood fable.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

I'm not entirely sure why but for some reason the Big Bad Wolf and Snow White just go together so well - Fables isn't the only time it's been done, the 10th Kingdom tv series put those archetypes together as well. It just works I guess :)

Wednesday, May 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the love for Bigby, just 2 comments! Fables is a book everyone should be reading!!!!

Thursday, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

I guess I'm all alone in this one. I can't imagine why.

Thursday, May 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fables was a great book, but only when Bigby and Snow were the focus. Hasn't been the same since. I stopped reading the book awhile back. The big reveal of the Adversary was anti-climactic. Is it still worth reading?

Thursday, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

You haven't been reading Fables!!! Jeff, READ FABLES!

1. Bigby and Snow are back
2. Once you get over your disappointment that they were out of the picture for awhile you'll like the non Bigby/Snow stories. It took me awhile to accept they weren't around too, but I still enjoyed the books.

Thursday, May 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I've read the trades through Homelands so I'm only one, unreleased trade behind. Maybe I'll catch up again when Arabian Nights comes out in June. Thanks for the heads up!

Thursday, May 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading #50 and I can't stop squeeing! I don't think I've ever been this happy.

Oh, Bigby!

Monday, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bigby's my all time fave too! especially in wolf form, I have an affinity for wolves!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home