Tuesday, May 16, 2006

reviews 5/16


Mouse Guard 2

Mouse Guard is a great all ages book. It's nice to see a comic that kids would love to read that I can pick up an enjoy as well. This issue focuses on different mice than the first one did. I have to say that I love the fact that the head of the Mouse Guard is named Gwendolyn :) It's fun to see tiny mice involved in a tale of adventure and espionage. I especially enjoyed Conrad's bold stand against the crabs - that was awesome! I eagerly await the nest issue.

Teen Titans 35

So I'm beginning to assume that at least Wonder Girl will be back with the Titans soon enough - if not she really needs her own book as following her character is important after Conner's death. I liked that Kid Devil and Ravanger have a friendship building as it show's Ravanger isn't as bad a person as she likes to come across. I do wish that Johns would tone some of the content down as Titans would be a good young adult book if there were less naked scenes. And maybe I'm a really big dork but I was excited to see the Doom Patrol. This would be a pretty good book if they'd cut down on the soap opera drama a bit and let these kids grow into real heroes - I'm still not sure how I feel about Ravanger on the team, but we'll see.

Supergirl 6

Was anyone else as confused as I was by this book? Why do they have to screw with Supergirl even more? Didn't she just have an epic battle with her evil side a few issues ago? Personally I was terribly confused by this issue and find I really don't care about Kandor's plight. I liked Supergirl the way she was - a warrior with a bright spirit - not some angsty teenager in a tattoo parlour on the verge of seriously hurting someone with her heat vision. If they've created another hero just to turn her into trash I'd rather not read about it anymore. Not to mention... Kandor? Where does Supergirl fit in continuity wise in DC. One second she's heping out Supes, the next minute she's in Kandor with Powergirl having apparently shirked her duties to Metropolis... and she seems like a different person in Legion. ugh.

Outsiders 36

Nightwing is so much more himself in this book, which is always nice to see. I am NOT a fan of Thunder's new look, I thought the 'fro went out of style in the 70s. I enjoyed Nightwing taking on an army by himself, that was awesome :) I'm not sure how I feel about the de-aged Jay Garrik. I'd rather see them make Bart the new generation's speedster as opposed to recycling another golden ager... wasn't Allen Scott enough? But if this is just a mystery plot it could be interesting. Either way this is a book I keep on finding an interest in. Maybe it's because it's my Nightwing fix.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mouse Guard is the best book for all ages out there right now. I love this book.

Outsiders is very cool and I like this series. I'm also very curious as to what is up with the Flash. I love this Nightwing better then the Nightwing in his own book.

Teen Titans is also a good read.

Supergirl is very cool. I have no idea what is happening and based on the solicitations when Joe Casey takes over we will have a serious storyline jump, but this is very cool stuff by Rucka.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mouse Guard books sound like something I would really enjoy - I'll take you up on your offer to loan comics if it extends to that one. =)

Tuesday, May 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arielle - I'm sure Cshiana will loan you Mouse Guard. It is a really good book. Adventure, great characters, great art and a lyrical quality to the book.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Well Arielle, I'm cool with loaning you Mouse Guard... but there's a catch. You see, I just lent it to Corey so he can read it to the kids he teaches art to (I wanted to help influence kids into reading comics). So it's all yours when we stage that raid on Corey's room to reclaim our stuff :)

And Jim - how is SGirl cool? It's confusing and making SG out to be an angsty teenager who's bully-like, how is that cool??

Wednesday, May 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The artowk on Supergirl is really nice and I am curious as how did Kandor come back, who is the Superman twin? I also like Power Girl being a big sister to Supergirl. Still based on solicitations this storyline will be wrapped up quickly or will be interrupted. The rest of the panel liked it also. Finally it maybe a guy thing as the woman are all hot.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS- Sounds like Corey has a huge stash of your books.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

It's true, he does. He's returned some stuff but still has quite a few things. Not to mention a stash of André's stuff as well.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home