Sunday, May 21, 2006

X-Men Fairy Tales

So when I went to check out Read More Comics yesterday I ended up getting X-Men Fairy Tales #1 (well, actually André got it for me) our of curiosity.

Wow, I ended up being plesantly suprised by a Marvel book.

Sure, it's a stolen idea on multiple levels (Sandman Dreamhunters as well as Fables), but nonetheless, an enjoyable read. I actually liked the Cyclops character! This has only proved the fact that X-Men works better as a Japanese fairy tale of course, but here's another shocker - it's an ALL AGES BOOK!

On another high note, the art was very nicely done. It managed to work with the Japanese theme without looking like manga art, and the coloring was lovely. I think Beast in the guise of a mischievious blue monkey was my favorite character, he was very entertaining. Iceman appears as a snowy dog, Prof. X as a monk, Cyclops as a woodsman, and Angel as a bird. This was a very cute story and I look forward to the rest of the miniseries. If you haven't read this yet I'd highly suggest checking it out :) It reminds me of the stories Kitty and Illyana used to tell back when I loved the X-Men.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to know Marvel does have the ability to do more then just capes. Of course htey still tied it to X-Men.

Monday, May 22, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Yeah, but so what? The X-Men used to be a good book, so there's no harm in doing something fun and *gasp* enjoyable with it.

Monday, May 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I just wish Marvel would invest in a Vertigo type of line.

Monday, May 22, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

I'm not sure if the Vertigo line was the best idea DCs had. I mean it's great to define you product and all, but it comes across as rated R comics. If you want to put out a light hearted book like Fairy Tales I doubt it would sell well as a Vertigo type book. People look to Vertigo for darker themes. Even Fables has a darker theme to it with the fables being in exile from the Homelands.

Monday, May 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By Marveling having a Vertigo line, I meant an outlet for non-cape tyoe of material. But you bring up a good point in that DC doesn't have an area in their market for lighter fare all age books.

Monday, May 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really fun book that I could see reading to the kids after tucking them in. Thanks for telling us about this hidden gem!!

Monday, May 22, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Anytime, I'm glad you liked it :)

Monday, May 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home