Wednesday, May 03, 2006

skye runner

Maybe it's just because I'm a D&D junkie, but I already like Skye Runner.

First of all, the artwork (done by Alé Garza) is eye-catching as well as appealing. It reminds me of Steve McNiven's work on Meridian (which was absolutely gorgeous), clean lines, detailed without being too busy, and accompanied by vibrant colors (Jim Charalampidis). While I usually pay closer heed to the writing of a comic than I do the art, books such as Hawkgirl and Ion have recently reminded me how much an artist can end up distracting you from what may be a decent story.

Skye Runner's story (Allen Warner) holds true with the art though. It is a fantasy setting, already looking like the set up for a good D&D style campaign, bringing exotic creatures, mischeivous children, sword fighting and displaced royalty to the surface fairly quickly. And it is all done with spirit and humor (along with a healthy dose of irony).

The only critisism I have so far is that you are moved into a battle a bit abrubtly, I always feel that early in a story you should focus a bit more on character and not try and force a dramatic fight until you've had a bit of time to make its impact felt.

I do find myself already fond of Lady Skye though. She looks to be an entertaining character with the potential for true heroic growth.

The idea that the writer makes fun of her scant clothing and that Skye herself is somewhat embarrased by it is a welcome aknowledgement that the writer can have a sense of humor about his own characters. I already know this is a comic I'll be passing around.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self - e-mail to Rusty to add this book to my list. I thought you would like it. It has a cool feel to it and a Meridan vibe.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

yes, well you know how much i miss Meridian :)

Wednesday, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home