Friday, May 05, 2006

a few reviews

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes 17

I've always loved the Legion and this years run has been one of my favorite comics. Now with the addition of Supergirl it's become even more entertaining. Sadly, Brainy is still being a hermit dealing with Dreamgirl's death the only way a super-genius can - by trying to raise the dead. I am looking forward to Brainy meeting SG because I always loved SG's crush on him. I can't express my joy enough at Cosmic Boy's blue costume. SG's belief that the Legion is all a figment of her imagination is great - I can't wait to see where Mark Waid goes with it. My favorite quote: SG: "Wow. Where am I coming up with all this...?"

Hawkgirl 51

Decent story, but I hate the art work. It seriously bothers me how giant Hawkgirl's breasts are. And I swear the same 6 people comprise all the character drawings. As a matter of fact I think there are only two different female designs.

Invincible 31

This is an amazing book - every issue is enjoyable. I love Mark's purple baby brother, I'm curious as to what his name will be :) Also the fight scene where Mark defeats the bad guy by dropping a rock on his head is great. Especially because a whole group of heroes couldn't do anything and along comes a rock from the sky to win the day. Very entertaining. Quote? Mark: "Did I get him? I can't tell."

Blue Beetle 2

This book seems to be going well but it's a bit early to tell. The weird flashback jumping seems to be over (I hope) so I'll be interested to read next issue. Quote: Jamie: "Pants. Then a pay phone. Pay phone is optional."

Batman 652

I'm still loving this 1 year later Batman stuff. The highlight of this issue was the conversation between Bats and Bullock. It gives me hope that we never have to see asshole Batman again. Bullock: "No Bats, thank you." I am a bit confused as to where they're going with the Harvey Dent stuff, but I suppose time will tell. Oh, and Robin beating up Mothman? Priceless.

Battle For Bludhaven 2

Phantom Lady... so naked.

Villians United 1

I love Gail Simone. It's pretty cool to see Oracle vs Calculator, and Lex really has become the mastermind villian of DC. I especially love Talia pouring hot coffee on Dr. Light's lap.
Lex: Was that absolutely necessasary, Talia?
Talia: Perhaps not in the strictest sense. But I did enjoy it.

X-Factor 6

Layla is a bit annoying, but overall this issue was okay. I want to see more of Multiple Man.



Ion 1

BIG disappointment. First of all, I really don't care for the artwork. It's... well, it's ugly. Then there's the story. ugh. Confusing and indirect stories only work AFTER you've begun to establish your overall plot - this is not a good way to start off a new book. Not to mention the psuedo-mute girl, I mean, seriously. Can we get past Jade first? If this is going to be a Kyle finding himself story (which is getting old anyway, I mean how many times does he need to find himself?) it needs to not be about him hitting on some new character. And all the confusing GL stuff going on, well, I have a bad feeling they're setting Kyle up with the tired absolute power corrupts plot. Or something along those lines. I like Kyle Rayner, but so far I don't like this comic.


Checkmate 1

Eh. I'm not impressed by this book, but it's not bad either. My superhero morals were hurt by the blatent "kill everything that moves" tactics. I mean, even in Alias, my spy show, they only hit bad guys with tranquilizers (mostly). And since when did Fire become okay with burning people alive? Sasha is cool though, I'm glad she got "cured". The chess theme is a bit heavy handed and Alan Scott looks like some cheap Nick Fury rip-off.

Skye Runner 1


Tomorrow is free comic book day! If you live in Florida like me check out the Brandon comic book store. If you live in Maryland, check out Cosmic Comix. If you live elsewhere you're on your own :)

One final thought: Jason Bard and Blue Beetle both need emergency pants...

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the emergency pants idea - very funny and odd how two heroes had a pants issue.

Nice reviews - you should send these to Rusty and tell him to post these and Shawn's reviews.

Friday, May 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's not a thing in the world wrong w/ emergency pants!

For dangerous occasions, I keep TWO pair, just in case.


- PGS

Saturday, May 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone seen some extra pants?

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has any one seen my pants?

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently left some pants in some girl's room.

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too.

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I phased out of my pants.

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had pants when I was younger - shorts were okay in 1940 - not so good in 1980.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pants, hell I'd be happy if I was allowed to wear my underwear under my pants.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to wear pants instead of these fishnet stockings.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pantaloons is what ye should want matey.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to be able to have pants. I don't care if it is the 41st Century, wearing a skirt is hard to fight in.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who wants a damn pair of pants - when ye could hav' a kilt!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.xut a referp I.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me need pants that want rip.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pants were born on tuesday.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pants - never for me dear.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pants, pants, pants, pants - My Kingdom for some pants!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home