Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Superman #654

As much as I enjoy Kurt Busiek's work I'll admit I was a little bit worried about this issue of Superman since it was the first issue venturing into 1 year later Superman outside of the Up Up and Away storyline. My fears have been layed to rest - I'm happy to say the I enjoyed Superman #654 :) I love the fact that Busiek is still keeping his focus on Clark over the man of steel as Clark has always been the most interesting part of Superman's story to me. I think too many writers forget that Clark is who Superman chooses to be while Kal'el is the alien he was born as. To me that makes Clark Kent the heart of the Superman character. The art wasn't all that impressive but I can deal.

Also, Busiek has managed to make Lois and Clark's romance shine again like it hasn't for so many years. He makes it seem as if it's just as magical for the couple as it was before they were married. I appreciate that and I love how much importance Busiek gives to the love between Lois and Clark.

Many reviews seem to be protesting about the lack of creativity involved in bring a character back to basics (in reviews for Batman as well as Superman) and I have to say - these must have been the people who enjoyed Supes as a spineless whiny washout and Bats as a total jackass. Personally I am very happy to see a return the the characters I grew up with as opposed to the strangers that were running around post ICrisis. AND I believe it takes quite a bit of skill and creativity to restore a character to glory... which is whi I'm glad Marv Wolfman will be helping Nightwing on that hard journey.

Overall it was a very sweet and somewhat amusing Superman story and serves to reaffirm my opinion that with Kurt Busiek at the helm, Superman is in good hands.


On a side note, sorry I was gone for so long! Between storms and internet issues (not to mention the fact that my monitor likes to randomly stop working and I really can't afford a new one) I haven't been on the computer much in the past week. Thanks for you patience ;)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back and I couldn't agree more. It's nice to actually like a SUperman comic and look forward to the next issue. Also it is nice that DC is putting major talent on their main characters regualr books.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

"I think too many writers forget that Clark is who Superman chooses to be while Kal'el is the alien he was born as"...I've never really thought of that but it is so true. Nicely done.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Yeah, I always disliked the way many authors would spend so much time focusing on CK's Kryptonian heritage to the point of his friends calling him Kal. I always liked that Batman was always the one to call him Clark. Without Clark Superman is akin to a God - Clark is his humanity and you need that balance in a character like Superman.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a Busiek interview I read recently he said that he never really understood Superman and that it's only recently that he has come to see the man behind the cape. He's doing a great job so far and, except for the crappy art, this book is rockin'. Clark really makes Superman the man he is. Good stuff!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Really? I thought he had Superman pretty dead on back when he wrote Secret Identity.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home