Monday, July 10, 2006

A Brief Moment with Batman 654

What a mavelous conclusion to the eight part Face the Face.

My faith in Batman is renewed. It gives me hope that we won't be seeing "asshole Batman" around anymore. Not only do we have a fantastic conclusion of the actual storyline (as if Harvey Dent taking over the Gotham zoo wasn't good enough by itself) but we also have a return to the core of the Batman universe.

The confrontation between Batman and the Great White Shark was wonderful. Not to mention it was pretty cool that the whole escapde was being controlled from behind Arkham walls. One of the best parts:

Batman: Oh, and when I catch Harvey Dent - of course he isn't Harvey anymore, he's Two-Face. But when I catch him - and I will catch him - I'll tell him what you did. And then I'll being him here.

The end of this issue nearly made me cry. Seriously. When Bruce asks to adopt Tim as his son I was so happy. I thought, wow, this is the Batman I remember growing up, a Batman who fought crime because he didn't want to witness any more broken families, a Batman who took in Dick Grayson because he didn't want Dick to grow up alone the way he had. A Batman who wants Tim to still have a family.

Thanks DC, even though you've seriously screwed up at times (and Dan Didio is still on my explosive runes list) at least you've given back Batman to us. For that, I am grateful.

Next... more reasons to read A Princess of Mars!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sure is good to have the old Bats back. And I agree that the ending was a real tearjerker. The one-armed hug showing us that Batsy isn't completely devoid of emotion anymore and can connect on an emotional level with someone. Brucie has a lot of kids now. First he adopts Tim, then his son that he had with Talis shows up, and finally he might just be the Daddy of Selina's daughter. Talk about regaining his family. Great stuff and I hope we never have to see the jerky, dickwad Batman ever again.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

I heartily agree. I have to say though, I don't think Selina's kid is Bruce's. Remember how fanatic Bruce went when Talia was having his baby? He wanted to make sure any child of his had a family growing up. If Selina's baby was his (or at least if he knew she was his) I think he'd have wanted to be a part of her life.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home