Thursday, September 21, 2006

epiphany

Yesterday I was completely exausted. I've been helping The poor people over at Spirit Halloween set up their stores and after several days of little sleep, hard work and leaving work to go to work... well I came home and passed out at 7pm. I woke up around midnight from a fantastic dream though - a well written Nightwing story! (yes, I am a geek) Anyway my dream has given me some awesome ideas for improving Nightwing.

First of all Nightwing has to leave NYC behind. He definately doesn't belong there. As for a city for him to get established in, why not Baltimore? I know, I know, according to many people no one cares about Baltimore. I however, think Baltimore could be a great superhero backdrop city. Think about it. Baltimore has a high crime rate... higher than NYC's actually. So it could use a hero. It has cameras on the streets (in some places) - I bet someone could integrate that into an intersting plot. The inner harbor provides a good night life backdrop. Fell's Pointe could be used in all sorts of stories in itself! Also, in my dream, Nightwing was in Baltimore, and it worked =P

As for a plot start - does anyone else remember the undercover stuff Dick used to pull off back in the day? (and no, I'm not referring to Devin's gansta plot) He even infiltrated Brother Blood's place during the Judas Contract - sure he was caught and brainwashed, but still. Anyway, I think this story should start of with Dick coming to Baltimore to investigate the disappearence of a friend (a cop friend - either from his days on the force or otherwise). This friend had gone undercover to investigate a string of kidnappings and murders that seemed to be connected in the area. After a month he disappeared without a trace leaving his young son behind without any parents. So Dick feels like he has to find out what happened to this guy. That's how I'd begin the story. He'd make an ally right off the bat (maybe a unknown low key superhero who's been investigating the mystery by his/herself) and the main bad guy wouldn't be revealed into at least 1/2 way into the story.

As a side note... Dick belongs with Babs - there will be no interference in this area. Dick needs a kick in the pants and a spinal transfusion to make him into the hero he once was - these will be provided. Dick needs a job, a real one. He either needs to open up a private investigation firm as a front for his moonlighting or he needs to be attending classes at UMBC or JHU as a retuning student to get a teaching degree. He'd be a great teacher at a college level and it'd allow him to have a more flexible schedule without having a job as a male model (rolls eyes). So him establishing himself in a new city should feel more permanant.

So yeah, go go dream time!

I wish I was in charge of writing Nightwing, but damn am I glad that Marv Wolfman will be doing a short run :)

17 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm so glad its that time of year again. I just visited our local Spirit Halloween store on Wed. to pick up some supplies. Love that store.

Friday, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

I have a love-hate relationship with it myself, but that may be because I work for the company :)

Friday, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

Just so you know, I think Wolfman's already been signed to a year long run on NW.

Cheers.

Friday, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

I'd buy Nightwing in Baltimore.

Hell yeah.

Friday, September 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally OT, but notice how the creator of The Order of the Stick appears to be giving Elan the Corey treatment? =D

Friday, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

That's because Elan is based on Corey... or Ludwig... one of the other

Shawn - sweet, that's good news, NW deserves a year run from a good writer

Friday, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

I would have gotten Brian Wood (now DC exclusive) to write it with Jock (THE LOSERS, and current NW cover artist) to illustrate it.

Saturday, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Wolfman knows NW and he'll do a good job... besides almost anything is an improvement at this point

Saturday, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

true.

Wolfman can bring him back to the status quo I suppose, but think it will be old stories.

I think they could have done the same thing by giving the book back to Chuck Dixon.

I want an edgier NW with Wood. I would settle for Geoff Johns though.

Wolfman will be ok. But he doesn't get me excited to read the book.

I'll just finally be ABLE to read it.

Peace.

Saturday, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

Cshiana - Welcome back to posting. That sounds like a good start for Nightwing and you know I would be onboad. Who is your artist?

Sunday, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

hmm, ideally? I'm not sure - Michael Turner or maybe Ian Churchill... ah, if only

Sunday, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

Didn't know your real first name but gave you props on this coming weeks Radio program for NW in Baltimore.

I used my creative team though.

Cheers!

Monday, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

haha, thanks

Monday, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

it's what I am here for.

Monday, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

I actually think it was the only one RUSTY liked as well.

How's that for beating the odds?

Tuesday, September 26, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

hahaha! that is funny, he never agrees with me in person =/

Tuesday, September 26, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

he never agrees with anyone in person.

So join the club.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home