Friday, August 11, 2006

cancellations

So our Abberrant game got canned :( Aparrently a majority of our gamer base (André and I not included) were not having fun with the game. So we were out voted and that's it =/ No more Tsunami or Valor for now. Since André was so bummed out about it I decided that once I was done running my L5R campaign I'd run a superhero game. However I refuse to use the Abberrant world because it reminds me way too much of the Marvel Universe (or at least what the Marvel U is in danger of becoming with this Civil War nonsense). I think it loses some key elements of the superhero genre such as:

1. Orgins. Part of the fun of the superhero world is the variety of zany hero and villian orgins. Abberrant, having come up with a technical reason for characters to have powers (very similar to the mutant gene in Marvel) loses out on this aspect of the genre. At least Marvel allows for the occasional Spiderman, Dr. Strange or Thor type character. In Abberrant ALL powers come from a biological mutation. There are no exceptions.

2. Aliens. There are no where near enough aliens in Abberrant. It's very disheartening considering some of my favorite characters (Starfire, Martian Manhunter) are aliens. I think the whole space epic is a part of comic book genre that deserves to be explored if you're going to role-play superheroes. There are also no amazons, robots, or sea-dwellers.

3. Awesome villians. Abberrant's villians are soooo two dimensional. Ever good superhero world needs villians like Brain and Mallah, Lex Luthor (in purple spandex!), Joker, Magneto... I could go on. Not to mention the fact that every good hero/hero group needs their own rogue gallery and with flat background villians, well, there's very little to work with.



So I've decided when I run my game that I may use some of the Abberrant system but I've decided to use 31st century DCN as my setting. Because nothing says super team fun like the Legion. I'd give my players two choices - they could either play Legionaires or Legion rejectees... and form a substitute Legion :) That way I could use characters and villains from the old Legion books and have a great backdrop built in. I'd use some of the core Legionaires as NPCs but I'd let the players get assigned to missions by themselves. I know if I was a superhero I'd want my chance to beat down Emerald Empress, Universo and Starfinger! I mean, who wouldn't?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's a game I would play. I'll be Ultra Boy!

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Arielle said...

Yeah, sorry about that, Gwen. Mike himself has said that if he'd had a world building session to create something other than the core Aberrant world, he probably would have wanted to keep running it.

I still want my wild west game using a low-powered version of the Aberrant system. =)

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Jim - if you lived in FL you could totally play and be Ultra Boy =P

Arielle - I'd actually be cutting some of the power out of the system as in normal comic genre people usually don't manifest new powers on a regular basis.

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to move.

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

yay!

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Yeah, well I usually change whatever game I run to make it work the way I want it to and then set down the changes as rules at the beginning of the campaign

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

Is this a rollplaying game?

I wish there was something like that here.

JIM, we must begin one at ONCE!

But I get to be ULTRA BOY!

You can be MON-EL.

...

God I'm a geek...

Thursday, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

Abberrant is a tabletop RPG... but I'm going to change it around to make it a Legion RPG...

You too can move to FL!

Thursday, September 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home